Over $200M in OTC SOFR Swaps Cleared in First Week
Cleared OTC SOFR swaps, launched on Oct 1 with SOFR discounting and price alignment, saw five major participants clear over $200M notional during the first week. View our press release to see what clients had to say.
- Builds on the growing liquidity of SOFR futures to offer clients the only holistic solution for trading SOFR
- SOFR OIS and basis swaps against LIBOR and Fed Funds, all with a maximum maturity of 30 years
- Portfolio margining alongside our 24 currencies of IRS and Eurodollar, Fed Funds, and Treasury futures.
SOFR Futures Surpass $1 Trillion in Notional Volume
CME SOFR futures are developing rapidly, providing increased price discovery along the SOFR interest rate curve. In the five months since launch (May 7 - Oct 5):
- Open interest: 35.7K contracts ($137B notional)
- Total volume: 402K contracts ($1T notional, $12.6M DV01) - view latest trade data
- Record daily volume of 15.2K contracts on Oct 3
- 75+ global participants, with growing buyside activity
- Increased block activity - view block market makers
- Open interest extending out to Dec 2020
The SOFR ecosystem continues to expand with five floating rate notes issued over the last 20 days, bringing cumulative issuance to $10.9B notional.
CME SONIA Futures See Week 1 Volume of 15,000 contracts
SONIA futures launched Oct 1, bringing CME Group's leading innovation and efficiency to the overnight sterling market.
- Week 1 volume of 14,960 contracts, including 11.3K contracts traded between Oct 3 and 4
- Over 7.4K contracts traded on Oct 9
- Markets are trading between 0.5 and 1 basis points wide across the front four expiries in both the MPC and Quarterly IMM contracts
- Bloomberg codes: ONS and MPC
- Trade with precision around BOE Monetary Policy Committee meetings with MPC SONIA futures
- Benefit from margin offsets with other STIR futures, including up to 50% offsets against Eurodollar futures
Options Market Update
- Treasury options ADV: 919K YTD, +21% YoY with 83% traded electronically
- A record 2.6M Treasury options traded on Oct 4
- Eurodollar options ADV: 1.4M YTD, with large block activity in Sep - Get Block Alerts
- Wed Weeklies ADV: 31K in Sep, +68% YoY
- Fri Weeklies ADV: 197K in Sep, +23% YoY
- OI is over 3M in Long Green Eurodollar options
- Following the Dec Mid-Curve expirations, Jan 2019 Term Mid-Curves will offer shorter dated options on the Dec 2019 ED future.
Asset Managers Increase Long Positions in Treasury Futures
The CFTC's Commitments of Traders Report shows record long positioning by asset managers in 2-Year Note and Ultra Bond Treasury futures as of Oct 2. Long positions in 5-Year and 10-Year Note futures were just shy of record highs reported the week earlier.
Interest Rate Futures Volume +19% YoY in 2018
Through the first three quarters of 2018, CME Group's Interest Rate futures averaged 7.2M contracts per day, equaling $393M in daily DV01 risk transfer, +19% YoY.
Data as of October 5, 2018, unless otherwise specified.
References to YTD are as of September 28, 2018.
All dates and months referenced are for 2018, unless otherwise specified.
View the current version and an archive of the Rates Recap online at cmegroup.com/ratesrecap.
©  CME Group Inc. All rights reserved. This information is reproduced by permission of CME Group Inc. and its affiliates under license. CME Group Inc. and its affiliates accept no liability or responsibility for the information contained herein, including but not limited to the currency, accuracy and/or completeness of this information, and delays, interruptions, errors or omissions. This information is an unofficial copy and may not reflect the official and accurate version. For the definitive and up-to-date version of any of this information, please see www.cmegroup.com.
If you would like further information, please contact CME Group.