CME Group: Interest Rates Recap - September 2019
SOFR options coming January 6, 2020
CME Group will launch options on Three-Month SOFR futures for first trade date January 6, 2020, pending regulatory review.
Building on CME's rapidly growing SOFR futures and deep expertise in listed Interest Rate options, the launch of SOFR options will give clients a holistic solution for managing SOFR price risk across futures, options and cleared swaps.
Record trading in SOFR futures as OI surpasses $960 billion notional
Open interest in CME SOFR futures surged to a record 283K contracts ($960B notional) in August, on record ADV of 40K contracts:
- More than 15 new firms began trading in August, pushing total participation to 195+ firms since launch
- Inter-commodity spreading (ICS) vs. Eurodollars and Fed Funds continues to grow, with record Globex ADV of 8.2K contracts in August (1.9K vs. ED, 6.3K vs. FF)
- $141B notional in block/EFRP volume, driven by block ICS
- Large OI holders hit a record 120 in the August 27 CFTC COT report
- In the cash market, issuance of SOFR-linked floating-rate notes hit a record $55B notional in August*.
Expanded futures listings coming September 30:
- Three-Month SOFR futures (SR3) listings will be expanded to 10 years (39 quarters)
- One-Month SOFR futures (SR1) listings will be expanded to 13 months.
View SOFR futures growth chart
Introducing CME SOFR Strip Rates
Based on client demand, we’ve launched SOFR Strip Rates, a futures-derived indicative view into forward-looking expectations for overnight Treasury Repo rates as reflected by SOFR.
A busy August for rates markets
Rates volumes spiked to near record levels in August as economic and geopolitical concerns sent volatility higher and global bond yields plummeting:
- Treasury futures ADV was an all-time record of 6.88M
- Treasury options open interest hit a record 11.2M
- Ultra 10 OI hit a new high of 882K contracts
|August ADV (000s)|
YoY compares Aug 2019 to Aug 2018
CME USD IRS Clearing +51% YTD
- 67% growth in interdealer activity in vanilla IRS
- Record number of clients leveraging portfolio margining between IRS and IR futures
- Convexity bias strategies with ED futures offer up to 90% margin savings
- Invoice spread strategies cleared at CME offer up to 81% margin savings.
CME Updates Proposal on SOFR Price Alignment and Discounting
Data as of August 30, 2019, unless otherwise specified
Notional shown for illustrative purposes only, computed based on the value of an equivalent money market instrument with the same dollar-value-of-basis-point (DV01).
View the current version and an archive of the Rates Recap online at cmegroup.com/ratesrecap.
Helping the World Advance: CME Group comprises four Designated Contract Markets (DCMs). Further information on each exchange's rules and product listings can be found by clicking on the links to CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX.
Futures trading is not suitable for all investors, and involves risk of loss. Futures are a leverage instrument, and because only a percentage of a contract's value is required to trade, it is possible to lose more than the amount of money initially deposited for a futures product.
CME Group is the trademark of CME Group, Inc.
The Globe logo, Globex® and CME® are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Inc.
CBOT® is the trademark of the Board of Trade of the City of Chicago.
NYMEX, New York Mercantile Exchange, and ClearPort are trademarks of New York Mercantile Exchange. Inc.
COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc
© 2019 CME Group Inc. All rights reserved.
This information is reproduced by permission of CME Group Inc. and its affiliates under license. CME Group Inc. and its affiliates accept no liability or responsibility for the information contained herein, including but not limited to the currency, accuracy and/or completeness of this information, and delays, interruptions, errors or omissions. This information is an unofficial copy and may not reflect the official and accurate version. For the definitive and up-to-date version of any of this information, please see www.cmegroup.com.
If you would like further information, please contact CME Group.